Monday, November 25, 2013

Sharing TMI.......

I have been in the dog business for 20 some years, basically, almost my entire life.  It wasn't until 2003 that I had my first dog that was all mine and not a family dog.  It's now 10 years later and I have 3 of them.  Despite my prior posts about the menacing dog club, I still love my guys.

In 2009, Guido became a father.  His wife was "June" who would be Al's granddaughter.  Guido and June had 7 beautiful pups born April 25, 2009.  All proven athletes, two were top 10 runners, very proud :)

It is now time for Guido to be a father again.  I guess I didn't know how easy and cheap we had it with June....we met in Iowa, she wasn't ready, so I took her home with me for a week, where we got 3 natural planned breedings, and a 4th because he just couldn't leave her alone. 

This time, his new wife, "Angie" lives in Connecticut.  There is the option of having her shipped to us, but with all the deaths of dogs on airplanes, and it getting to be so cold, we opted to do it artificially. This is where I got a little weirded  out.   I am not one who is bothered by many things, other than the thought of drinking milk, feet, and a few other things that need not be mentioned.

The process of doing this, is "collecting" Guido and shipping the result overnight, where on the receiving end, Angie is inseminated.  What does this mean?  I am sure you are getting the idea here...yes,  I have taken my dog 2x now to be jacked off.  We go to the clinic and go downstairs, and the tech sits on the floor and just starts pulling.  I was so red that Saturday when we went in for a vitality test, I was thinking OMG, I hope they pay these people well!!!  I just stood there with the leash and looked the other way.   Guido didn't seem to mind it.

We go one more time tomorrow, he will have 2 collections sent off to CT.  In about 2-3 weeks we will know if this was successful or not....fingers and paws crossed!! The hardest part was trying to explain to my boss why I needed to leave early, and why it would be a last minute thing, depending on what Angie's progesterone tests were.

Some of you who read this will be like, no big.....been there, done that, it's expensive.  Some of you will be thinking "wow, that is kind of nasty"....either way, getting the correct dogs for the events you want them for, takes work, planning and good timing! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment